Waning gibbous moon
(April 20 – 26, 2011)
By Kate Braun / The Rag Blog / April 19, 2011
This is a moon-phase useful for releasing the old, removing unwanted negative energies, seeking wisdom. In this moon phase, you may work with Spirit in rituals concerning getting rid of bad habits, bad relationships, bad jobs; magickal workings regarding decisions, divorce, stress, emotions, protection; activities that concern fruition and manifesting (in other words, making some dreams come true). It implies boldness and a willingness to venture into the unknown, to boldly go where you have not dared to go before.
Seasonal gardening, for those of you who are able to do so, focuses on the third-quarter moon of April 20-23. This is a good time for planting below ground crops such as carrots, beets, onion sets, potatoes. It is also when to plant biennials, perennials, bulbs, trees, shrubs, berries, and to transplant seedlings.
Honor Crone Goddesses such as Baba Yaga, Cerridwen, Elli, Hekate, Hella, Grandmother Spiderwoman, Lillith. They are sources of wisdom; a waning gibbous moon is their season. The day you choose to invite their assistance will determine the color, number, and element central to your activities:
Wednesday, April 20, use the color yellow, the number eight, the element Air; perform rituals for career, all aspects of career. Suggested chant: “Good job, promotion, a raise I see; as I will so shall it be.”
Thursday, April 21, use the color blue, the number four, the element Water; perform rituals for money and/or legal matters. Invoke some Jupiter-energy as well; Jupiter, the planet of expansion, brings good things and positive outcomes. Suggested chant: “Positivity in all things, Jupiter surrounds me; I claim success and surety, as I will so shall it be.”
Friday. April 22, use the color green, the number seven, the elements Earth and Water; perform rituals for love and attraction. Venus is the planetary energy to invoke. Suggested chant: “True love, lasting love, come unto me; as I will so shall it be.”
Saturday. April 23, use the color black, the number three, the element Earth; perform rituals involving self-discipline. Saturn’s somber heaviness will keep you steady on the course you choose. Suggested chant: “Captain of my ship am I, monarch of life’s sea; in firm, balanced control am I, as I will so shall it be.”
Sunday, April 24, use the color yellow, the number six, the element Fire, and rituals for money, health, and friendship-related matters. Lord Sun’s warmth will inspire you and on this day it will be better to perform your workings in his light, so plan your activities for daylight hours. Suggested chant: “Sunlight, clear light, show my path to me; I follow where you lead, as I will so shall it be.”
Monday. April 25, use the color silver, the number nine, the element Water, and rituals for inspiration and change. Lady Moon is most helpful in these endeavors, so plan your activities for nighttime when she is visible in the night sky. Suggested chant: “Lady Moon I call on you for insights and dreams to guide me; beneficial change is my goal, as I will so shall it be.”
Tuesday, April 26, use the color red, the number five, the element Fire, and rituals for overcoming enmity and for protecting property and developing courage. Mars is the planet to invoke; his fiery force will help build energy within you as well as assist you when you need it most. Suggested chant: “I and mine are safe today, and as far ahead as I can see; I shall not fail in courage or grace; as I will so shall it be.”
Some other guidelines are:
- to use the color associated with a particular day, wear it and/or make it the primary color in whatever decorations you use and burn candles of that color (yellow on April 20, blue on April 21, etc.);
- to use the number associated with a particular day, repeat whatever chants or songs or invocations you use the number of times indicated by the particular day (eight on April 20, four on April 21, etc.);
- to bring in elemental energy, there should be air moving for the Air element (a fan if there is no breeze), water present (in a glass or bowl or pond), for the Water element, a lit candle for the Fire element (or a fire in a grill or chimney), contact with the earth for the Earth element (be barefoot and outside);
- if a particular planet is associated with the day you choose, let that planet’s energy lift you (Jupiter-energy is optimistic, laughter-filled, happy, and exultant;
- Venus-energy is cozy and loving, nurturing, and comfortable;
- Saturn-energy is efficient, practical, organized, and not very exciting;
- the Sun is active, pushy, assertive, lively;
- the Moon is dreamy, intuitive, gently wavy);
- if the suggested chant does not reflect your goals as clearly as it should, feel free to create your own (remembering that a chant will work best if it rhymes).