The New Journalism Project is a Texas non-profit corporation with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status that publishes The Rag Blog, sponsors Rag Radio, publishes books, and produces educational and community events related to alternative progressive journalism. In 2016, NJP Publishing released its highly acclaimed book Celebrating The Rag: Austin’s Iconic Underground Newspaper and in 2021, a companion book, Exploring Space City!: Houston’s Historic Underground Newspaper, was released.
Board of Directors:
- Sherwood Bishop, President
- Alice Embree, Secretary/Treasurer
- cindy soo
- Thorne Webb Dreyer
- Cam Duncan
New Journalism Project
PO Box 16442
Austin TX 78761-6442
The Rag Blog (theragblog.com) is a reader-supported Internet newsmagazine produced by activist journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is a digital-age rebirth of the pioneering underground newspaper, The Rag, published in Austin, Texas, from 1966-1977.
- Editor: Thorne Webb Dreyer
- Associate editor: Alice Embree
- Designer and contributing editor: James Retherford
- Contributing editor/National: Jonah Raskin
- Contributing editor/The Rag Blog en español: Cecilia Colomé
- Correspondents: Mariann G. Wizard, Lamar W. Hankins, Steve Russell, David P. Hamilton, Bruce Melton
- Web developer: Beth Been
- Web consultant: Terry Dyke
- Web consultant: Carlos Lowry
- Founding editor: Richard D. Jehn
Rag Radio (https://www.theragblog.com/rag-radio/) is a syndicated weekly radio show associated with The Rag Blog and the New Journalism Project. It is produced in the studios of KOOP 91.7-FM, a cooperatively-run all-volunteer community radio station in Austin, Texas.
- Host and producer: Thorne Dreyer
- Engineer and co-producer: Tracey Schulz
- Still photographer: Roger Baker
- Contributors: Alice Embree, Suzy Shelor, Glenn P. Smith
The Friends of New Journalism is a support group that coordinates volunteer efforts for The Rag Blog and for other activities sponsored by the New Journalism Project.
- Co-chair: Alice Embree
- Co-chair: Roger Baker